We all know about the importance of living a healthy life. However, surprisingly, a lot of people aren’t aware how to become healthier. While exercising and eating healthier are the two most common steps to leading a healthy life, there are other factors that should be taken into consideration. No matter how big or small, the changes to your lifestyle can enhance your life and potentially reduce your chances of fatal diseases in the future.
- Probably one of the biggest changes you can make is to your lifestyle is changing eating habits. While a lot of people do believe they are eating healthy due to the amount of calories they are consuming, this may not be the case and it is important to read the labels. Traffic light labelling is being put in place, making it easier for consumers to understand the nutrients in the food they are buying and therefore allowing for healthier decisions. Foods that are high in fat and don’t offer many other nutrients should be avoided, while protein rich foods should be eaten regularly.
- Exercise is also an important part of staying healthy and just 20 minutes of light exercise a day can improve your health. The routine for a lot of people is to sit at their desk at work, go home and watch television, meaning we are sitting down for the majority of our day. This can have adverse effects on our health and the chances of developing heart disease and diabetes are significantly increased. Increasing your activity for just 90 minutes more a day can reduce this risk and consequently improve your health.
- Of course, we are all aware of the terrible effects smoking can have but no matter what, some people do find it impossible to quit. No matter how long you have been a smoker there are different ways that can help you quit and it will improve your health massively. Smoking is the main cause of cancer and can significantly reduce life expectancy. However, quitting smoking can reduce the risk of strokes, heart attacks and cancer, allowing you to lead a more fulfilling and healthier lifestyle.
- Your weight is a good indication to the healthiness of your life. Your BMI should be between 22.5-25 in order to be considered a healthy weight; being above this number can increase your risk of developing illnesses such as heat disease. Your BMI is a good way to give you guidance on the amount of exercise to do and the calories to consume each day.
- They say a healthy body leads to a healthy mind and this could in fact be true. A lot of people suffer from stress, whether it is at work or home and exercise is known to be one of the best ways to clear the mind and relieve stress. Exercising releases endorphins that can essentially lift our spirits and relieve any tension we may be feeling.