Obesity has become the new age threat to the mankind. Obesity has slowly and steadily increased in the past few decades. The World Health Organization (WHO) considers obesity as the most prevalent and dangerous disease in the world. Obesity is also seen as a growing health concern in America as 2 of 3 adults are obese.
Weight loss is an important step in obesity management. Many weight loss programs with planned diets are preferred by people along with a good exercise routine to lose few pounds. Fruit diet, protein-rich diet, low crab diet, …., etc. have made their way into the world of fitness. One of the most interesting ways to lose weight of all others is the juice diet.
What is juicing?
Fresh fruits and vegetables are crushed to obtain fresh juice to consume for weight loss. Juice diet consists of eliminating some food sources in the diet such as white bread, rice, pasta etc. to make room for the nutritious juice. The free diet plan will aim to cleanse and detoxify the body through fresh juice consumption.
The juice obtained contains all the vital nutrients and antioxidants that seem to improve metabolism and digestion. The resulting pulp is discarded by some and others chose to use it to thicken the juice.
Juice dieting and health
Many people question the effectiveness of the juice diet. The juice-only diet can sometime deprive people of protein and increase sugar cravings. Extreme juice dieting is not that healthy for the body though the results of weight loss are seen.
Advantages of juice diet
Jennifer Barr, RD, Wilmington opines that fresh juices are the best way to consume fresh fruits and veggies. If one is not a big fan of eating, they can always resort to fresh juice and include the missing component in their diet.
Through juicing one can consume sprouting vegetables and reap the benefits in its concentrated form.
A possible improvement in the insulin resistance
Nutrients are better absorbed by the body through certain juices like mango juice and papaya juice.
According to a study conducted by Fujioka K, Greenway F, Sheard J and Ying Y, California, grapefruit and grapefruit products are beneficial to include in a weight loss diet. The study consisted of 91 people suffering from obesity. The study subjects were group as placebo and non-placebo groups.
The placebo group received placebo capsules while non-placebo groups were asked to consume grapefruit juice, fresh grapefruit juice and grapefruit capsule. The non-placebo group study participants were divided into three teams consuming grapefruit juice, fresh grapefruit juice and grapefruit capsule.
After a span of 12 weeks, study subjects’ metabolic parameters were measured and it was found that subjects who drank grapefruit had lost around 1.5 kg, those who drank fresh grapefruit juice had shed 1.6kg while subjects who consumed grapefruit capsules were found to have lost 1.1 kg. The placebo group subjects’ weight loss was almost non-significant at 0.3 kg. The study concluded that there was an improvement in the insulin resistance in obese patients.
The right way to lose weight from juicing
- Juice diet is a good way to get nutrients into the body, however, there are some concerns such as loss of fiber intake as the pulp is often not used while consuming juice. The pulp should not be discarded and can be incorporated into other recipes to ensure the required fiber intake is met.
- Another concern with juicing is that of the lack of protein. One can add protein powder and supplements to the juice to make it nutritious and delicious. Almond milk, yogurt, flax seeds or peanut butter can also be added for the protein punch in the juice.
- Juicing for weight loss should not fall flat by consuming more calories as fruits contain many calories. With veggies, calorie consumption is often less. Hence, it is important to watch the kind of fruit/amount of fruit used in the juice preparation.
- It is better to start juice diet after consulting with your nutritionist or health care provider to rule out any health concerns.
- Extreme juice diet without proper diet planning is not good.
- It is better to use fresh juice to reap maximum benefits.
- BeetrootBeetroot juice is one of the powerful detoxifies that cleanses the liver and helps in the removal of toxins from the body. Other detoxifying juices are prepared from spinach, kale and celery.
- PineapplePineapple has anti-inflammatory properties and is often used in juice diet for its cleansing and soothing benefits. It is also loaded with antioxidants and helps in losing weight.
- Grapefruit and blackberriesGrapefruit has been considered effective when used in a weight loss diet program. Fresh grapefruit juice seems to improve insulin resistance thereby facilitating good metabolic activity in the body resulting in weight reduction. Alternatively, one can also add blackberries for added punch of antioxidants.
Super juices for weight loss are good source of nutrients that help the body cleanse and detoxify. Many studies have supported the importance of juice (grapefruit) in the diet for weight loss. However, it is better to consult with the health care provider to make the juice diet beneficial.